“She sees in black and white, thinks in greys, but loves in color” – J.M. Storm
Color psychologists tend to call gray “the color of compromise” meaning that it’s neither black nor white but sort of a transition space between two non-colors. In fact, the closer gray gets to black, the more dramatic and mysterious it becomes. The closer it gets to silver or white, the more illuminating and lively it becomes.
But gray is much more than just a combination of black and white. It’s a foundationally important upholstery color that offers a wide array of possibilities when it comes to mixing and matching fabrics and colors. As an inspirational offering, I thought I would share with you my top 10 gray color combinations I come back to time and time again. These fabric and color combos are anything but neutral.
- Emerald + Charcoal + Red: modern and vibrant
- Pale Blue + White + French Gray: classic and relaxe
- Stone + Cream + Navy: crisp and clean
- .Pale Gray + White + Cream: soothing and restful
- Gray putty + chocolate+ copper orange: masculine and strong
- Charcoal + French Gray + Cream: sophisticated and refined
- Sea foam + Frosty White + Silver: cottage inspired and fresh
- Rose + Pearly White + Light Gray: European and feminine
- Coral + White + Stone Gray: free and lively
- Classic Black + White + Mid to Light Gray tones: timeles
Another benefit of selecting gray upholstery for new or refurbished pieces is that you get the flexibility of being able to mix and match prints from the same and complimentary color families. So go ahead and pair that gray herringbone with an orange paisley and give charcoal pinstripes a playful partner with a vivid, floral print. For more advice on how to mix and match prints like a pro, check out the Elle Decor interview with Kit Kemp, design director of the Firmdale Hotel group in London.
About Erin: Erin is an untrained writer, professional marketer and always on mom of two monsters. She’s the voice behind VNTG Home content, branding and regularly contributes to the “Live Beautifully” blog. When not getting peanut butter out of clean pants or rearranging her house, you can find her on the St. Croix River sailing with the best guy in the whole wide world.
About “Live Beautifully” Blog Our vision for the VNTG Home blog is simple: create a platform where fresh and transformative ideas can be shared and showcased in order to demonstrate how accessible luxury can really be.